Black glue and unicorns unite to create this stunning unicorn art project that kids will love! This colorful art project is perfect for unicorn fans and makes a perfect summer afternoon art project. Our printable unicorn template makes prep time a cinch so go grab your supplies and great ready for some magical crafting time.
HOW TO MAKE A BLACK GLUE UNICORN ART PROJECT
- mixed media paper
- Elmer’s school glue
- black acrylic paint
- watercolors (we love liquid watercolors)
- gold tempera paint
- glitter glue
1. Begin by mixing together your black glue. To do this, squeeze a generous amount of black acrylic paint into a bottle of Elmer’s School Glue (We start with 1 Tbsp.). Use a wooden skewer or the end of a paintbrush to stir and mix the black paint into the school glue until it is thoroughly incorporated and the glue is black. After mixing our glue together we like to give it a good shake to further incorporate it.
2. Download and print our black glue unicorn art project template on mixed media paper.
3. Before you begin tracing the unicorn with your black glue, test out the glue first on a napkin or separate piece of paper. Create some lines to experiment with the flow and spread of glue. Once you’re happy with the way the glue flows, use a steady hand to trace the lines of your unicorn template with your black glue.
4. Leave the black glue to completely dry for several hours or overnight. This step is a MUST because if you paint your picture prior to the black glue drying your watercolors will mix with the black paint leaving you with a mess.
5. Once the black glue is completely dry, paint your unicorn art project template with watercolors. Our absolute favorite is liquid watercolors but we’ve also recently tried out some Life of Colour watercolor pens that would work great for the detailed unicorn template. Find them on Amazon HERE and use code IHEART876 for 20% off your order.
6. Paint the section of the unicorn horn with gold tempera paint. You could also use silver or any color of your choosing.
7. To finish your unicorn art project use coordinating colors of glitter glue and add lines in the different sections of hair and on the horn to add sparkly, glittery details.